Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Austin, Texas

Here's a few facts about where I was born and raised, Austin, Texas.

Area: 297.9 sq miles (771.6 km²)

 Founded: December 27, 1839
 
Weather: 61°F (16°C), Wind SE at 10 mph (16 km/h), 93% Humidity
 
Local time: Wednesday 11:11 PM
 
Population: 820,611 (2011)
 
Austin is a town that I will always love. It's one of the fastest growing cities in the nation, and constantly ranked on top 10 places to live in the United States. The city itself has grown outwards, in all directions, and I have seen in grow extremely quickly to the West. Westlake, where I grew up and where my parents still live, was easily considered out of the city when we moved to Texas in 1990. Now, being 15 minutes from downtown is considered quite close-in.

Economics of the town are quite diverse, and the city is seen as fairly "recession-proof", but clearly it was still affected by the 2008 crisis. The main industry that drives economic growth would have to be the tech industry, with Dell's headquarters located in Austin and many other large tech companies having a significant presence. Another major driver would have to be the University of Texas, as much as we may hate it.

Here's a few pictures of my hometown: 

The first of which is of Hula Hut, one of my all time favorite restaurants ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment